Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Jasons in China: Day 3

September 3, 2007
Beijing

Ni Hao!

Impressions of China on Day 3

I've seen very few birds and no cats. Not a tweet to be heard for miles because I was told by our tour guide that there was a concerted effort to eliminate the pidgeon from Beijing. I say good show. Who likes those rats with wings? As for the absence of cats, we in the US know how effective their pet food is in helping control the pet population...They eat anything with two legs except people and anything with four legs except for tables. In China, our tour guide told us they eat: beef (all parts), pork (all parts), chicken (all parts, starting with feet which are imported from the US because we just won't eat them), as well as eel, snake, crickets, turtle, frog, lizard, ANY fish, etc. etc. I think I've seen most of these during one our many Chinese meals. "Mister! Hello! Mister! Hello!" is getting to be my least favorite phrase that I hear while shopping.Traffic in China anytime during the day makes the 405 at 5 pm on a Wednesday look like traffic on Christmas morning. This afternoon it took us one hour and fifteen minutes to travel 10 miles. Lucky that us Jasons used this time to catch up on our sleep. By the way, China is BIG. We've learned that Beijing with 18 million people is China's second largest city. There's a city in the middle of China with 33 million people. Though people still spit freely on sidewalks and in public areas, the China I've seen is the cleanest place I've been to in all my travels (not a speck of litter anywhere), the people are the friendliest and nicest I've encountered and all is orderly and safe which works well for this OCD American tourist. Not even the food issues could stop me from coming back. I suggest a visit to China for all.





Xie Xie,
Jackie Chan







No comments: